Today was a pretty kick-back kind of day. I didn't go to work, and so we were pretty lazy. Best of all, one of the channels had a Phineas and Ferb marathon. If you haven't watched Phineas and Ferb, you should. The Husband and I have been known to watch it, even when the kids aren't around.
Phineas and Ferb are stepbrothers who both have a love for science and adventure. They embrace, fully, the 104 days of freedom that summer offers and get themselves into ridiculous situations. The dialog is clever, and every episode has a song - the songs are often the funniest part.
My favorite song is the "Happy Evil Love Song". The resident bad guy, evil scientist Doofenshmirtz falls in love with an equally evil female scientist. They sing a lovely duet together and if the Husband and I were getting married now, instead of 15 years ago, I would have made him perform this song at our wedding. I am not even kidding. It is adorable and it is one of two songs that I consider "ours". (The other song is "Forever May Not Be Long Enough" by Live, and from The Mummy Returns soundtrack - clearly I've got issues.)
HIGHLIGHTS FROM PHINEAS AND FERB:
1. Their mother was an 80s rockstar who retired to raise her family. She was the famous "Lindana". Her kids are unimpressed.
2. In one episode, Baljeet, the boys' friend attends a summer camp to learn how to rock. He struggles with perfection, but finally learns to rock when he is told that rock camp is not graded. Furious that he won't get an A+, he composes an angry rock song.
3. The opening them song includes the line, "Giving a monkey a shower" and in Season 3, we see Ferb actually giving a monkey a shower, and when asked about it, he responds dryly, "It had to be done."
4. Every evil invention made by Dr. Doofenschmirtz has "-inator" as part of it's name.
5. They never tell you what "Ferb" is short for.
6. The boys pet platypus is a secret agent, Agent P, who is Dr. Doofenschmirtz nemesis.
7. The boys' parents favorite band is called "Love Handle". They perform on the show from time to time. My personal favorite lyric from their big hit song, "You Snuck Your Way Right Into My Heart", is "Like a ninja of love, repelling down from above, you snuck your way right into my heart."
8. In one episode the boys attend a sci-fi convention attended by two warring factions of scifi fans. The whole thing blows up into an actual battle with a bunch of nerd kids standing around trying to battle each other with pretend spells and wands.
9. The character Ferb has a crush on the evil Dr. Doofenschmirtz daughter Vanessa. The actor who plays Ferb is the kid from Love Actually who learns to play the drums for his crush, who is played by the same girl who voices Vanessa.
10. You should really watch the show. It is funny.